This is great and light breakfast recipe that provides good intake of protein.
- 1 small zucchini ( or 6 white mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red or green sweet pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon olive oil or cooking oil
- 6 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tbsp of shredded fresh basil (used dried)
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (1 oz)
- chopped tomato
- black pepper and salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In medium skillet cook zucchini, onion, sweet pepper and garlic in hot oil until onion is tender. Set aside.
- In medium bowl stir together the egg whites, egg, milk and basil. Stir in zucchini mixture. add salt and pepper. Pour into 4 individual quiche dishes or shallow casseroles. (I simply used one dish and just cut afterwards in 4 peaces).
- Bake in the oven for 15-20mins. or until set. Sprinkle each serving with mozzarella cheese. Let stand 5 mins. before serving so that cheese on the top would melt.
- Zucchini Fries (ihaveiwant.wordpress.com)
- Oven Baked Zucchini Sticks with Sweet Onion Dip (thecocinamonologues.com)
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats (staceyarcher.wordpress.com)
- Feta Zucchini Pancakes (thedailymeal.com)
- Cucumber and Zucchini Panzanella (thedailymeal.com)