I love gnocchi. I love them since I was 18 and went to Italy for the first time. I had them with homemade pesto and freshly shaved parmesan for a dinner with an italian family in Genoa. Since then I am in love with gnocchi, pesto and italian food. Couple days ago I went to supermarket and bought some gnocchi, but as I was thinking what to make for a dinner tonight, I decided why not to search for a recipe to learn how to make gnocchi from scratch and use the bought ones for the occasion when we don’t have time to make dinner or feel very lazy to do it 🙂 So, I stick with this video that I found on internet from http://www.videojug.com 🙂
Then, I was searching for recipe that I would like gnocchi to have with, because even though I am in love with pesto, my husband does not share the same passion, so I have to make a compromise. Therefore we have this recipe that is quite light and not too heavy. I also added spinach to it and used simple mozzarella cheese rather than fresh one….
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 red pepper , deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500g gnocchi
- handful basil leaves, torn (I used dried one)
- half a 125g ball mozzarella , torn into chunks
- Heat grill to high. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, then soften the onion and pepper for 5 mins. Stir in the garlic, fry for 1 min, tip in the tomatoes and gnocchi, then bring to a simmer. Bubble for 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally, until the gnocchi is soft and the sauce has thickened. Season, stir through the basil, then transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
- Scatter with the mozzarella, then grill for 5-6 mins until the cheese is bubbling and golden.