Fridays we always eat pizza and usually I just take some pizza from the freezer and warm it. however, this time I decided to make it from scratch. It reminds me of my volunteering times in Italy, when I was staying in a farm and learning from this tough italian Mother how to bake bread, pizza, how to make home made pasta….So, even though I know how to make pizza dough, I decided, as always consult almighty Google. I liked most this recipe:
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour ( I used half all purpose, half wholemeal)
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and brown sugar in the water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Stir the salt and oil into the yeast solution. Mix in 2 1/2 cups of the flour.
- Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rise until double; this should take about 1 hour. Punch down the dough, and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out. Use for your favorite pizza recipe.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). If you are baking the dough on a pizza stone, you may place your toppings on the dough, and bake immediately. If you are baking your pizza in a pan, lightly oil the pan, and let the dough rise for 15 or 20 minutes before topping and baking it.
- Bake pizza in preheated oven, until the cheese and crust are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Then I made two of them. One: Italian way, with whatever I found in the fridge and lots of different cheeses and spinach.
The second from BBC good Food. I chose it, because it reminded me of the pizza that I used to make in Italy: potato pizza.
So, here is the recipe of Goat cheese, potato and rosemary pizza :
- small waxy potatoes , thinly sliced (skin on)
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- rosemary needles from 2 sprigs, chopped
- 150-200g goat’s cheese log, sliced ( I actually crumbled)
Heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Boil the potato slices for 5-6 minutes until just tender, toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and the garlic and rosemary. Cover pizza base with potato slices, leaving a small border. Scatter the goat’s cheese and onion over and drizzle with a little more oil. Leave for 10 minutes for the dough to puff up a little then bake for about 10-15 minutes until the base is crisp and golden and cooked through.
- Herbed Pizza with Potatoes, Spinach, and Smoked Mozarella (seattlefoodshed.wordpress.com)